We've made some exciting updates to our network music players, and we've now included Spotify Connect for the Stream Magic 6, Minx Xi and NP30.
Release notes for our network music player updates can be found here.
More details about what is being changed and why can be found below.
www.stream-magic.com is being closed down. Also the Sirius XM and Aupeo! Streaming services will no longer be available on Stream Magic devices.
At the same time, we are excited to be releasing a firmware upgrade for existing Stream Magic devices such as the NP30, Stream Magic 6 (v1) and Minx Xi that enables those units to use the newer Cambridge Connect app and adds Spotify Connect.
Why is this happening?
We believe it is easier to do the functions provided by stream-magic.com, such as linking and unlinking streaming services and managing presets directly on the StreamMagic devices. This removes the need to log in to stream-magic.com, create a user and register your device before you are able to perform any of these functions. By moving these functions directly into the unit, we have removed the added layer of complexity of performing these tasks via stream-magic.com, and taken the opportunity to add some extra features.
Sirius XM and Aupeo! have recently announced that they will be discontinuing the streaming service that our network players connect to.
Cambridge are always evaluating the streaming services market, and by adding Spotify Connect to existing Stream Magic products, this service is now available across the range. Spotify is the most popular streaming music service and is available in many territories across the globe, and by integrating Connect into Stream Magic products it gives a fantastic user experience allied to Cambridge’s renowned sound quality.
How do I do what I used to do on www.stream-magic.com?
- Upgrade to the latest release (see release notes), by navigating to Settings -> Firmware -> Check for updates.
- Once updated, by navigating to the IP address of your unit, you will see the new device settings pages.
- The IP address of your unit can be found from either the front panel (under Settings -> Network -> Current Config, then scrolling through the details shown), or from the Cambridge Connect app by tapping the info (i) button next to the name of the Stream Magic device you want to configure in the Players screen.
The device settings page allows you to:-
- Change the name of your unit
- Check and update your devices’ firmware
- Link and unlink streaming services
- Manage Personal Podcasts
How do I manage my radio presets?
You can remove presets, or add new ones, directly from the Cambridge Connect app which is available for iOS device on the App Store or for Android devices on Google Play.
Currently playing stations can also be added as presets by using the front panel.
How do I set a custom URL as a preset?
You can add the station to your player by going to the web setup page. Simply enter the IP address of the player into your web browser, then enter the links into the Presets field.
What changes to my unit will I notice?
A Spotify option will be present on the main menu or in the Inputs menu depending on your unit. Your device will also appear in the Connect list in the Spotify app and can be chosen as an audio output and controlled directly from the Spotify app.
The Sirius XM and Aupeo! streaming services will no longer be available on the unit.
To allow you to benefit from the work done on our new products, we have updated the Queue user interface to that featured on our recently launched CXN and 851N network players. This means that the operation from a user interface perspective is now the same across our range, if you have a Minx XI and an 851N for example, the user interface will be consistent across both products. The user guide addendum describes these changes in detail. A summary of the changes is below.
- There is now a single 'Music Library' menu that contains both UPnP servers and USB drives, and access to the queue.
- Tracks are always added to the queue. If the queue is not empty, a pop-up is displayed asking where to put the new items in the queue.
- Selecting an item will only add that item to the queue (before it would start non-queue playback from that item and continue onwards).
- Shuffle/unshuffle should work correctly now.
Please note that if you would like to add a whole album to the queue, there are multiple ways of doing this:
- By selecting the [All tracks] option in the tracks list.
- By pressing play on the containing folder.
- A long select on the containing folder.
Are there any limitations?
Adding large numbers of tracks (5000+) to the queue in one go can get very slow. If you are used to going to the "All music" level of your UPnP server and pressing play (and then enabling shuffle) , you may wish to roll back to the previous firmware version. If you would like to do so, please contact our customer support team. We'll be monitoring how popular this function is, as we may implement it in a future update.
Cambridge Connect is the app (available on both iOS and Android) that has been re-designed with significantly improved UPnP browsing and the new queue user interface and that has been implemented in this new firmware update.
The existing StreamMagic app will also continue to function, however development of this app has long since ceased. If you have an older iOS device that isn’t able to run Connect however (which requires iOS 7.0 or higher), then you can use StreamMagic and still update your unit to get the benefit of Spotify Connect.
The StreamMagic Lite Android app will be removed from the Play Store shortly. It has been superseded by Connect.
I’m quite happy with my unit at the moment, what if I don’t want to upgrade?
We’d really encourage you to try this update. If you don’t like it, you can always go back to the previous version. However, when you are prompted to upgrade, please choose ‘No’. Contact our customer support team and they will be able to stop this and future upgrades becoming available.